Patient Rights and Responsibilities
The health and well-being of patients depends on a collaborative effort between patient and medical providers in a mutually respectful alliance. Patients contribute to this alliance when they fulfill responsibilities they have, to seek care, and to be candid with their medical providers.
Patients have the right to:
- Courtesy, respect, dignity, and timely, responsive attention to the patient’s needs.
- Receive information from their medical provider and to have opportunity to discuss the benefits, risks, and costs of appropriate treatment alternatives, including the risks, benefits and costs of forgoing treatment.
- Ask questions about their health status or recommended treatment when they do not fully understand what has been described and to have their questions answered.
- Make decisions about the care the medical provider recommends and to have those decisions respected. A patient who has decision-making capacity may accept or refuse any recommended medical intervention.
- Have the medical provider and other staff respect the patient’s privacy and confidentiality.
- Obtain copies or summaries of their medical records.
- Obtain a second opinion or change medical providers if other qualified medical providers are available.
Patients have the responsibility to:
- Provide accurate and complete information for proper evaluation and treatment.
- Follow recommended treatment plan, secure appropriate transportation as directed by provider, ask questions or discuss concerns when you do not understand or agree with the treatment plan.
- Be respectful and considerate of other patients, UHS staff and the facility. Abide by the UM Creed.
- Follow appropriate rules and regulations.
- Keep appointments or to notify UHS when you are unable to do so.
- Fulfill financial obligations in a timely manner.
- Be familiar with your health insurance coverage.
Feedback, Complaints, Grievances
Patients have the ability to provide feedback, complaints or grievances for University Health Services. This can be done by contacting the operations supervisor via phone or in-person for Employee Health Services (662-915-6550) or Student Health Services (662-915-7274).
You may also correspond via mail to the following address:
Attn: Operations Supervisor of (Employee Health Services or Student Health Services)
400 Rebel Drive
University, MS 38677
You are also able to complete one of our patient satisfaction surveys by clicking HERE. Surveys are also randomly emailed to patients after their visit on a weekly basis.