Need help covering healthcare expenses on campus? See if you qualify for UMEF!
The UHS Medical Expense Fund (UMEF) was created by a generous gift from the Family Leadership Council to address the financial barriers faced by students in accessing medical health services needed to support their well-being and academic success.
University Health Services offers acute and preventive care including lab work, x-ray, physical therapy and more. The intent of this fund is to help offset the direct and indirect costs of obtaining medical treatment for students who have financial needs.
What will it cover?
Any of these services provided by University Health Services. At this time, healthcare provided at external facilities cannot be covered.
- Urgent Care
- Lab work
- Ambulance transport from campus
Who is eligible?
- Currently enrolled UM students.
- Students who need financial assistance to pay for medical health services due to lack of insurance, certain insurance (Medicaid, Medicare, or state/federal-funded plans), or other financial constraints.
How much is covered?
- Student may be awarded up to $500 (maximum) per request (Spring/Fall semesters only).
What is the process?
- Students must apply online via HIPAA secure Qualtrics application or make an in-person appointment with our Wellness Navigator.
- Student will be contacted by our Wellness Navigator within 5-7 business days to schedule an appointment to discuss their request, as well as any other resources that may be helpful to the student.
- At the time of the meeting with our Wellness Navigator, student may provide supporting documentation and services being sought. (Please see the application for details.)
- The Wellness Navigator then forwards the student’s request to UMEF approval committee for final review and approval.
- The Wellness Navigator will inform the student of request outcome within 5-7 business days of their initial meeting.
- If approved, student will receive notification that expenses have been taken off their account. If funds are being paid to the student, they will be dispersed either in their checking account, bursar, or by check.
- If denied, student will be provided with information about other on- and off-campus resources that might help address their needs.
To contact the Wellness Navigator, CLICK HERE.
To fill out the Qualtrics Application, CLICK HERE.