Employee Health Center
The mission of the Employee Health Service is to promote the health and well-being of employees of The University of Mississippi through education, prevention and care of acute medical conditions.
Hours of Operation
Patient visits are by appointment only.
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. (Closed 12-1PM)
Location: 2nd Floor, V.B. Harrison Health Center
Rebel Drive at Student Union Drive
Who Can Receive Care at Employee Health Service?
Employees who are paid by the university and receive benefits are eligible for services.
When calling for an appointment, please have your:
- UM employee number
- State health insurance number (insurance card needs to be brought to EHS at your first visit)
Billing and Insurance
A nominal charge is made to see a health-care provider. Charges are also incurred for laboratory, radiology and other medical services. The employee is able to choose the number of pay periods to have charges deducted.
The only insurance that is filed from EHS is the state employees insurance. After your visit, a claim is filed to the insurance carrier. After we receive notice of payment, the amount that is not covered by the insurance and listed in the column Due to Provider is paid through payroll deduction.
- Employees who do not have the state employees insurance will be responsible for their bills and will have to file their own claims.
- Secondary insurance cannot be filed.
- Care for acute medical problems
- General wellness examinations
- Laboratory testing
- Radiology services
IF THERE IS AN EMERGENCY PLEASE GO TO THE BAPTIST MEMORIAL HOSPITAL EMERGENCY ROOM
Jean G. Gispen, M.D.
• Education: Radcliffe; Duke University
• Board certified in internal medicine and rheumatology
• Private practitioner for 21 years before joining the Employee Health Service in July 2005.
Hubert Spears, M.D. General Medicine/Surgery
- Education: University of Mississippi School of Medicine, Jackson
- Residency- General Surgery, University of Tennessee, Memphis
- Fellowship- Surgical Oncology, Roswell Park Memorial Cancer Center, Buffalo, New York
- Board Certified in General Surgery
Kimberly Shaw, R.N.
• Education: BSN from East Central University, Oklahoma
• 25 years of experience in ICU, House Supervisor, and Emergency Department
• Began in Employee Health July 1, 2010
Susanne Malatesta, MLT(ASCP)
• Medical Laboratory Technician, licensed by American Society of Clinical Pathologists
• 32 years of clinical experience
• Began in Employee Health 2008
• Operations Supervisor
• 20 years of experience in private clinics prior to joining the EHS staff in July 2005.
• Education: Attended the University of Mississippi
• 25 years of experience in public service and customer relations
• Joined Employee Health in 2007